What is FARI
FARI is an independent, not-for-profit Artificial Intelligence initiative led by two universities in Brussels: the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) and the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB). This initiative will aim at helping citizens, politicians and companies as well as not-for-profit organizations to address local, every day or long-term challenges in the Brussels-Capital Region, Belgium and Europe. It brings world-leading and future researchers to the service of the city. It reinforces a virtuous circle: the city encounters problems that FARI can help address with projects that in their turn could lead to major scientific advances, especially in the field of AI (Explainable and Trustworthy), Data (Open) and Robotics (human-centric).
About the team
The central staff of FARI supports both researchers, research and innovation projects as well as companies and public administrations in the digital transition of society. How will and can AI, Data and Robotics make a difference in making our society more sustainable?
To help the FARI research community as well as the stakeholders we work with (citizens, public administrations, companies), we are expanding the support team @BeCentral (FARI’s offices) to build a stronger institute and develop new services to support open innovation and the FARI objectives. I
If you like to work with and on the latest technologies and in a multidisciplinary and international team, we invite you to apply to any of these vacancies below. You will help AI Innovation and make sure next generation new digital technologies are contributing to a more inclusive and sustainable world.
About the position
FARI – AI for the Common Good Institute (ULB-VUB) is looking for a coordinator for the citizen user panel. The Citizen User Panel coordinator will structure, animate a community of Brusselers for FARI. Its goal is to involve a diverse and inclusive set of citizens in the design of AI systems, to have them participate in projects with a social impact, to be consulted in a regular and consistent fashion on important topics related to AI, Data and Robotics. It will ensure that research and innovation projects from FARI are relevant, anchored in local realities and can contribute to Brussels. It will serve FARI’s ambition to be a “Living Lab” for the city, connected to our Test & Experience facilities, Digital Twin projects, and moreover civic outreach activities. You will work in direct collaboration with the the FARI Services Hub Coordinator.
- You will create and maintain a diverse community of Brusselers
- You will develop a structure to animate recurring or ponctual panels with citizens
- You will set in place diverse activities that might include face-to-face interviews, surveys, usability tests, among others
- You will recruit and mobilise citizens in AI projects
- You will collaborate directly with researchers, public administrations, and other entities
- You will work directly with and for the FARI services hub
What is expected from you (expertise & experience)
- A strong interest in technologies and their use towards the general interest (common good)
- A proven experience in civic mobilisation around technologies
- A relevant experience in citizen deliberation, consultation, assemblies can be considered (even if not around technologies)
Skills and competence
- Proactively bringing people together
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Ability to communicate in three languages is ideal (French, Dutch, English) but excellent command in French and English is sufficient.
- Creative and empathic to find various ways of engaging people
- Rigour and method to structure the panels, their frequency
- We are looking for a creative mind with strong social values
- This position will be attached to the Vrije Universiteit Brussel or the Université Libre de Bruxelles. Therefore salaries and perks & benefits will follow each university’s internal sliding scales and guidelines.
Start Date: As soon as possible
*Please include your LinkedIn profile in your cover letter